About the program
Queensland Connects is a regional entrepreneurship acceleration program that supports regional leaders to develop a detailed understanding of the strengths of their region or sector. The aim of the program is to educate and allow leaders to:
- Identify local solutions which strengthen their region/sector’s innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem.
- Implement initiatives which build connections across the region or sector’s innovation ecosystem.
- Accelerate economic growth and job creation through innovation-driven entrepreneurship.
Cohort 2 of the program focuses on the challenge (their Must Win Battle) or opportunity. The program aims to unlock key regional opportunities that will help connect and grow the region or sector by bringing together teams of key regional innovation ecosystem leaders, including:
- Corporate representatives and enterprises.
- Universities and research institutes.
- Investors and/or risk capital representatives.
To help develop strategies and initiatives, each team will work with the Queensland University of Technology (QUT) and will leverage the internationally regarded Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Regional Entrepreneurship Acceleration Program framework and resources.
Program structure and timeframes
The program is structured around three interactive, two-day intensive workshops:
- Workshop 1: 23-24 November 2021.
- Workshop 2: 3-4 February 2022.
- Workshop 3: 5-6 May 2022.
During the workshops, each successful team will work directly with QUT and other regional teams to gain feedback and support.
Input from MIT faculty members will provide a global perspective to the program. This will assist in gaining a deeper understanding of economic development around the world and from learnings across the broader MIT REAP community.
Between workshops, each Cohort 2 team can leverage coaching to help them develop their strategy and activities in their region and to help solve their challenge or seize their opportunity to connect and grow their region or sector.
Funding of $30 000 is available for each team to help cover modest costs to participate and to help support immediate priority initiatives.
Cohort 2 teams will be assessed on the strength of their proposed project, its relevance to their region’s competitive advantages, alignment to Queensland priorities and seed industries, and the proposed team membership.
Applications closed at 10 am, 7 September 2021.
- Frequently asked questions (PDF, 315KB)
- Application tips and tricks (PDF, 916KB)
- Program framework flowchart (PDF, 704KB)
Queensland Connects Cohort 1
Watch the videos to learn about the experience of the Queensland Connects pilot teams:
- Professor Arun Sharma from the Queensland University of Technology
- Queensland Connects Cohort 2 compilation.
Read the Queensland Connects Report for useful background on Queensland’s experience as part of the MIT REAP program.