About the program
SparkPlug provides opportunities for innovators to connect with the Queensland Government. It is about connecting the right startups and SMEs with the right government contacts, and breaking down the barriers innovators face when approaching government. It helps government achieve its aim to be a lead customer of innovation. SparkPlug aims to:
- support the Queensland Government to adopt innovative solutions which deliver improved outcomes for Queenslanders
- provide opportunities for Queensland’s innovators to win government contracts, supporting them to grow and create jobs
- demonstrate how government is working with startups and SMEs on innovative solutions.
Each SparkPlug event calls for solutions to a government challenge in a specific priority technology or service area. Innovators are invited to apply, identifying the problem their application addresses and how their solution will deliver improved outcomes for Queenslanders.
Shortlisted applicants are invited to pitch their solutions to a target audience of decision makers from participating Queensland Government agencies. Shortlisted applicants receive pre-event information on how to pitch to government. Participating Government agencies may choose to fund a limited trial of any of the solutions presented to them, at their discretion.
SparkPlug is a valuable way to raise the profile of startups and SMEs with the Queensland Government in a forum specifically designed for engaging with innovators.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- employ less than 200 people, including contractors
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN) with a Main Business Location in Queensland.
Additionally, the product or service proposed for the pitch event should:
- be a fully developed, validated solution with at least one customer
- have taken into consideration the regulatory requirements necessary for Queensland Government to implement the product or service (and be able to provide details)
- fall within the event scope (more information to follow).
Applications for products or services where technology is not yet developed will not be considered eligible for participation.
SparkPlug 2: Circular Economy
Applications for the SparkPlug 2: Circular Economy are now open. SparkPlug 2 focuses on the circular economy, for the purpose of this event, Circular Economy is defined as:
“Circular economy approaches involve maintaining more value in products, components and materials by designing out waste, keeping materials in use and rebuilding natural capital. They expand on traditional sustainability approaches by setting a shared vision of an economic system that can work for business and the environment.”
The Queensland Government is seeking applications from organisations with innovative circular economy solutions which can create new value for Queenslanders, under the following priority areas only:
- Advanced manufacturing and re-manufacturing
- Agriculture and food
- Infrastructure and building
Applications should be prepared with a broad audience in mind and should consider how their solution could be of benefit to multiple Queensland Government departments or service areas.
If you are interested in pitching your solution to Queensland Government decision makers, apply now.
The following dates are indicative, and may be subject to change. Any changes will be communicated to applicants in writing.
- Applications open: 14 October 2019
- Applications close: 25 October 2019 (by 2pm)
- Successful applicants notified: late October 2019
- Pitch event: 15 November 2019
For more information see the SparkPlug FAQs