About the program
SparkPlug is a new program offering opportunities for innovators to connect with the Queensland Government. It is about connecting the right startups and small to medium enterprises (SMEs) with the right government contacts and breaking down the barriers innovators face when approaching government.
SparkPlug aims to:
- support the Queensland Government to adopt innovative solutions which deliver improved outcomes for Queenslanders
- provide opportunities for Queensland’s innovators to win government contracts, supporting them to grow and create jobs
- raise the profile of government working with startups and SMEs on innovative solutions.
Each SparkPlug event calls for solutions to a government challenge in a specific priority technology or service area. Innovators are invited to submit an application, identifying the problem their application addresses and how their solution will deliver improved outcomes for Queenslanders.
Shortlisted applicants are invited to pitch their solutions to a targeted audience of executives from participating Queensland Government agencies. Each shortlisted applicant will all receive pre-event information on how to pitch to government. Participating Government agencies may choose to fund a limited trial of any of the solutions presented to them, at their discretion.
SparkPlug is a valuable way to raise the profile of your organisation with the Queensland Government in a forum specifically designed for engaging with innovators.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- employ less than 200 people, including contractors
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- have a place of business in Queensland
Additionally, the product or service proposed for the pitch event should:
- be a fully developed, validated solution with at least one customer
- have taken into consideration the regulatory requirements necessary for Queensland Government to implement the product or service (and be able to provide details).
Applications for products or services where technology is not yet developed will not be considered eligible for participation.
Participation Terms for the SparkPlug Events Program are available for download.
SparkPlug 1: Drone Technology
Applications for the first SparkPlug event are now open. The Queensland Government is seeking applications from organisations with innovative drone solutions which can create new value for Queenslanders. If you are interested in pitching your solution to Queensland Government executives, apply now.
SparkPlug 1 is seeking applications from organisations with innovative drone solutions which can create new value for Queenslanders, either by improving how we deliver services, or through new efficiencies and cost savings. In this instance, a drone could be considered any remotely controlled or autonomous aircraft, underwater craft or land vehicle.
Solutions could be either hardware, or software which supports the use of drones. Drone operation/piloting services, as well as education and training on the operation of drones, will not be considered in scope for this event.
Applications should be prepared for a broad audience. Applicants are advised to consider how their solution could be of benefit to multiple Queensland Government departments or service areas.
For more information on the Queensland Government’s vision for our drone industry, refer to the Queensland Drones Strategy
The following dates are indicative, and may be subject to change. Any changes will be communicated to applicants in writing.
- Applications closed: 15 April 2019 (by 2pm)
- Successful applicants notified: End of April 2019
- Pitch event: 10 May 2019
SparkPlug 1 applications have now closed. There will be further SparkPlug events later in 2019.