Ten start-up teams were selected for the 2019 global HYPE UQ SPIN Accelerator program.
The 2019 HYPE UQ SPIN Acceleraor cohort are:
- BiiB – Community-based run motivator platform
- HeartBit – The world’s first smart garment capable of real time medical grade ECG waveform monitoring, prediction and detection of heart anomalies
- Moovosity – Inspiring children to enjoy a life of physical activity by empowering educators with the tools and resources to teach the fundamentals of movement.
- PUML – Incentivising active movement and securing digital health data on the blockchain.
- Quipmo – The surf, bike and snow peer-to-peer gear rental marketplace for locals and adventurers alike.
- SG Esports – An esports media business built on the pillars of sponsorship, membership and grassroots.
- Siren Media – Helping teams engage fans and monetise game day with content.
- SportsCube – A SaaS based marketplace built for community sport.
- Stattr – Data, video and social platform for grass roots sport.
- Status Sport – Paperless community sport.
Twelve start-up teams were selected for the 2018 global HYPE UQ SPIN Accelerator program.
The 2018 HYPE UQ SPIN Accelerator cohort are:
- BioConnected – wireless headphones with a built in heart rate monitor and in-ear training coach
- FanTribe – a fan engagement platform set to transform the business of sport
- Eggplant Technologies – markers of ‘Move It’ - the world’s first all-in-one connected personal gym that can track your real-time workout progress on your smartphone
- JARO Sports – the online ecosystem for sporting organisations. It dramatically simplifies the administration, coaching and marketing processes – giving a new level of visibility and control
- Lightweave – An experiential agency delivering licensable virtual reality and augmented reality experiences
- ARIVAL– bringing the fan into the game using augmented reality to visualise player and team statistics while engaging fans with gamification
- Sportido – helps people play more sport using a sports discovery app to find places and people to play 700+ sports around them.
- ANTI. – developing the world’s first truly soft, snow helmet
- Coach Assist – provides coaching strategies, tactics, and drills for AFL and Netball coaches and players
- Jetson Industries – combines the latest in Internet of Things technology to make smart balls that offer multiple sports the opportunity to record information such as ball speed, position and spin
- PROHAB– a sensor to measure strength in real-time for athletes rehabilitation using a smartphone
- Wylas Timing – an affordable wireless timing solution that every club can access.
HYPE UQ Sports Innovation Accelerator: Global Pitch Event
During the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, the world class startups participating in the 2018 HYPE UQ SPIN Accelerator program pitched for $25,000 in prize money from UQ and entry into HYPE's Top50 Program.
Australian teams also competed for the Austrade Going Global Award, a 90-day residency at one of Austrade’s Landing Pads located in the world’s best innovation hotspots – Berlin, San Francisco, Singapore, Shanghai or Tel Aviv.
Watch the pitches and coverage live from the UQ Hype SPIN Accelerator Global Pitch event at Commonwealth House.
Global Pitch Competition winners
- The Going Global Award presented by Austrade was won by BioConnected.
- The Grand Prize winner was won by ARIVAL.
About the program
The HYPE Foundation is partnering with UQ, with support from Advance Queensland, to bring the renowned SPIN sportstech accelerator program to Australian sports startups. The accelerator program will give Australian startups fast track access to global brands, international clubs and global sportstech mentors within a sports dedicated accelerator program.
While a passion for sport is a pre-requisite, innovators can come from diverse backgrounds such as human movement, engineering, design, law, business, science or nutrition.
The HYPE SPIN Accelerator concept was officially launched in October 2017. The four current SPIN Accelerator partners worldwide are UQ, Loughborough University (UK), San Jose State University (USA) and Trentino Sviluppo and The University of Trento (Italy), all selected for an outstanding record in sports science and innovation.
About HYPE Foundation
HYPE foundation is the biggest eco-system in sports innovation. With more than 26,000 members from brands, sports clubs, federations, and academia, together with 8,000 startups—HYPE has an unmatched outreach for global companies in this field.