Over the past five years, the Advance Queensland initiative has provided a range of programs aimed at developing entrepreneurial and research talent; building Queensland’s research and development capacity; supporting startups and businesses to deliver new products and services into global markets; and establishing new industries that will provide the jobs of the future.
Our top 10 birthday milestones
Some of the milestones and support we are most proud of include:
- Queensland COVID-19 vaccine: earlier this year, Advance Queensland committed $10 million to support the University of Queensland’s research for a COVID-19 vaccine. This funding has helped fast-track the development of this promising vaccine, with Phase 1 human clinical trials starting on 13 July 2020.
- Agtech and Logistics Hub: Advance Queensland recently launched this new facility at the Darling Downs to support economic growth, create jobs and improve the productivity, capability, and sustainability of Queensland’s agricultural industry through innovation.
- QCN Fibre: Advance Queensland has worked with QCN Fibre – a new state-owned entity jointly owned by Powerlink Queensland and Energy Queensland – to help internet providers to be more competitive and offer faster, more reliable internet to homes and businesses in regional Queensland.
- Advancing Regional Innovation Program: Advance Queensland has designated $500,000 to each of Queensland’s 12 regions under the Advancing Regional Innovation Program to help turn our regions into hubs for innovation and enterprise.
- The Precinct: now one of the state’s largest innovation hubs, this Queensland-first facility is connecting startups, scaleups, incubators, investors, and mentors, is home to the Queensland Chief Entrepreneur, and currently boasts more than 25 tenants.
- AI Hub: located at The Precinct, this $5.5 million Advance Queensland investment supports Queensland’s innovation sector, businesses and startups through education, programs and bringing world-leaders in AI to Queensland as experts-in-residence.
- Indigenous innovation: Advance Queensland has worked with Queensland’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities to provide pathways and opportunities for our Indigenous sector to build wealth and create jobs including supporting the Business and Innovation Reference Group, implementing the Deadly Innovation Strategy and launching the Open for Business support service.
- Building Our Innovation Economy: Advance Queensland Strategy: following extensive consultation with industry leaders and Queensland’s innovation ecosystem, in 2019 Advance Queensland released our Innovation Strategy outlining the new framework to deliver the next stage of the initiative.
- Supporting Female Founders: Advance Queensland has placed gender equity as a priority issue and is supporting female founders to start and grow their business through the Female Founders program.
- Supporting major events: to take our innovation talent to the world, Advance Queensland has supported internationally renowned events including QODE and the BIO international Convention.