Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Research Fellowships 2017
Supporting PhD qualified Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander researchers in undertaking original research that will benefit Queensland.
- Applications will be assessed in the order that they are received until the funding pool is exhausted.
- $240,000 over 3 years is available for each fellowship.
- Approved Fellowships must begin after they are approved, and within six months of being offered the award.
- Eligibility criteria apply.
The applicant must be a Queensland-based agency, including universities, research agencies, government organisations, not-for-profit/charitable organisations and businesses. The applicant organisation nominates the proposed Fellow.
The proposed Fellow must:
- identify as being of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent
- undertake the fellowship in Queensland
- have a PhD research qualification with up to 5 years post-PhD research experience. Allowances will be made for time taken away from research e.g. for parenting, caring, illness, or time in non-research roles.
- have a research proposal that:
- addresses 1 of the Queensland Science and Research Priorities
- is aligned with a Queensland Government Industry Roadmap area
- involves research that will support entrepreneurship and small to medium enterprise growth in Queensland.
- have one or more partners, including at least 1 Queensland-based industry/end-user organisation
- spend at least 50% of the fellowship physically co-located with at least 1 Queensland-based industry/end-user partner organisation
- have at least $120,000 (excluding GST) in cash funding from the applicant and/or partner organisations.
Guidelines and conditions
More information about the Research Fellowships program can be found in the following documents:
- application guidelines
- financial incentive agreement terms and conditions
- frequently asked questions
- agreement declaration page
- online grant application instructions
How to apply
Each application must contain:
- a completed SmartyGrants on-line application form
- copy of the nominated Fellow’s PhD degree
- scanned (PDF) letters of support from the applicant organisation and partner organisation(s).