Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander PhD Scholarships
Supporting Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander scholars in gaining a research PhD degree to lay the foundation for a future research career.
- Applications will be assessed in the order that they are received until the funding pool is exhausted.
- Up to $120,000 (GST exempt) over 3 years for each scholarship.
- Optional $2,500 thesis submission payment if thesis is submitted within 3.5 years of commencement.
- Approved scholarships must begin within six months of being offered the award.
- Eligibility criteria apply.
To be eligible for funding, the scholar must be nominated by a Queensland-based agency, including universities, research agencies, government organisations, not-for-profit/charitable organisations and businesses.
The proposed PhD Scholar must:
- identify as being of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent
- be commencing a new, full-time PhD research program at a Queensland university after the application is submitted
- undertake the project in Queensland
- have a research proposal that:
- spend at least 50% of the scholarship physically co-located with at least 1 Queensland-based industry/end-user partner organisation.
Guidelines and conditions
More information about the PhD Scholarships program can be found in the following documents:
- application guidelines
- financial incentive agreement terms and conditions
- frequently asked questions
- agreement declaration page
- online grant application instructions
How to apply
Each application must contain:
- a completed on-line SmartyGrants application form
- a scanned (PDF) copy of the nominated Scholar’s academic transcript
- scanned (PDF) letter(s) of support from the proposed industry/end-user partner organisation(s).