Engaging Science Grants
Supports science engagement and communication projects, events and activities that increase the reach and impact of science in Queensland.
- Applications are now closed, but will reopen again in late March 2017. The reopening date will be announced on this website.
- Grants of up to $10,000 are available to eligible Queensland-based applicants. Under special circumstances larger grants may be considered.
- Funds need to be spent within a 12-month period.
- Eligibility criteria apply.
- Applications are assessed on a quarterly basis.
- The next assessment process will commence on 1 May 2017.
- Out-of-session applications that are time-dependent may be considered.
- be Queensland-based with an Australian Business Number (ABN) or be employed by a Queensland-based organisation with an ABN, and
- address at least one of the Engaging Queenslanders in Science Strategy’s goals
- STEM participation: To increase the number of students participating in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) subjects.
- Public engagement: To increase engagement and participation of the Queensland community in science-based activities.
- Scientist engagement: To increase the number of scientists directly engaging with the Queensland community.
- Public awareness: To increase awareness and understanding of the great science taking place in Queensland.
How to apply
To help prepare an application refer to the:
- Engaging Science Grants guidelines
- Engaging Science Grants Terms and Conditions
- Frequently asked questions
How you will be assessed
The Engaging Science Grants selection panel will be looking for projects, events or activities that will:
- deliver outcomes that address 1 or more of the Engaging Queenslanders in Science Strategy’s 4 goals
- engage subject matter experts and/or provide entertaining and informative content
- be effectively promoted to a defined target audience
- use an evaluation mechanism that provides quantitative and qualitative feedback.
Other, highly regarded elements include:
- collaboration between organisations and institutions
- cash or in-kind contributions from sponsors or partners
- delivery of projects or events/activities in regional Queensland.
Round 1 funding recipients have been announced. Twenty-one recipients will share in over $200,000 to build the profile of science in the community.
About the Engaging Science Grants
The Engaging Science Grants are part of the Engaging Queenslanders in Science—a strategy with a vision to create a Queensland population that engages in and recognises, supports and advocates for science.
The grants are designed to support scientists, researchers, science communicators, journalists, teachers, organisations and community groups to develop and deliver science engagement and communication projects, events and activities that align with this vision.
Findings from a recent survey, commissioned by the Office of the Queensland Chief Scientist, Queenslanders’ Perceptions and Attitudes to Science, underpins the objectives of the grants.