Young Starters’ Competition
If you’re a young Queenslander aged 15 to 24 and have a great entrepreneurial idea, you could win prizes to help you develop your startup idea.
- Helping young entrepreneurs build business skills and develop their startup ideas to get them investor-ready.
- The chance to win prizes valued at up to $45,000, including a place in a startup mission to a global innovation hot spot.
- Open to young Queenslanders aged 15–24, as individuals or teams of up to three.
- Earn points based on entrepreneurial activities you complete and tweet about.
- Leaders at the end of the Stage 1 will be invited to pitch to win a place at an exclusive startup bootcamp and the chance to win the major prizes.
- Up to 10 regional competitors (individuals or teams) will also be invited to pitch at the bootcamp—with funding available to cover travel and accommodation costs.
- Stage 1 closes 4pm 31 March 2017.
About the Young Starters’ Competition
The Young Starters' Competition can help connect you with leading innovators, develop your business skills and help get your startup idea ready for investors.
The competitive program gives you the chance to:
- learn how to be a successful entrepreneur or build on existing business skills
- see entrepreneurship as a career pathway
- develop and pitch ideas to investors
- win prizes geared towards helping turn your ideas into a new business
- unleash your potential to make a lasting contribution to Queensland’s prosperity.
The competition stages
You have until 31 March 2017 to enter by sending your first competition tweet and completing eligible entrepreneurial activities.
You can do any of the qualifying activities, like creating a website for your startup, learning to code, developing an app or teaching code to others. The more activities you do, the more points you can earn.
A unique #hashtag is tweeted for each activity as the Advance Queensland twitter-bot acts as an electronic ‘umpire’ for the competition. Our leaderboard lets you check your progress and position.
If you’re one of the top 30 individuals or teams from Stage 1, you’ll be invited to produce a short, 3-5 minute pitch video to showcase your entrepreneurial potential to our independent judging panel.
Following the video pitch, 20 teams (top 10 Young Starters on the leaderboard and 10 regional Young Starters nominated by a panel of independent judges) will be selected for their entrepreneurial potential and invited to the next stage.
Finalists will be invited to attend an exclusive 2-day bootcamp with mentoring sessions and pitch coaching to help them refine their projects.
Up to 10 teams will present a live pitch at a final Young Starters’ Competition Pitch Event.
The Overall Winner, selected by the expert independent panel, will receive a package of startup assistance valued at up to $30,000. The People’s Choice Winner, chosen by attendees of the Pitch Event, will receive a prize package valued up to $15,000.
Prizes could include:
- participation in a startup mission to a global innovation hot spot (if aged over 18)
- an entrepreneurial skills program for your school (if aged under 18)
- co-working space
- showcasing at a startup event
- up to $5,000 to progress your startup.
To be eligible, you must:
- be aged between 15–24 years of age at the time of joining the Competition
- be residents of Queensland for the duration of the Competition
- have parent or guardian approval to enter if you are under 18.
Refer to the terms and conditions for further eligibility criteria.
How to enter
You can join the competition by sending a tweet using a special code and accepting the terms and conditions.
- Be logged into Twitter with the account you are entering with.
- Review the terms and conditions.
- Go to the Enter the Young Starters' Competition page and make your first tweet using the button.
- Once you make your first tweet, you will be asked to accept the terms and conditions to join the competition.
- Follow the AdvanceQld Twitter account.
How to earn points
Complete the entrepreneurial activities, providing your links where requested.
To avoid errors, use the "Tweet" button to auto-fill your post and do not insert other hashtags.
Check the leaderboard to review your position in the competition.
Once the competition has closed, a panel will review the top scoring competitors and invite up to 10 finalists to participate in a pitching event. An additional contingent of up to 10 regional competitors will be invited to participate in the pitching event.
You can contact us for any technical enquiries or to suggest other activities.